Stationary Engineer 3rd class
A Sustainable, Forward Thinking Protein Company
Maple Leaf Foods is a leading meat and plant-based protein company, employing over 11,500 people and publicly traded on the Toronto Stock Exchange. We are proud of our roots, which trace back well over 100 years, but our vision and purpose are decidedly forward looking. As we pursue our vision to become the most sustainable protein company on earth, we are committed to creating shared value – creative business value through addressing some of the world’s most critical social and environmental challenges. Our goal is to build a more sustainable food system, which provides nutritious affordable food, operates within planetary limits, cares for animals responsibly, and meaningfully engages with our communities to advance a more just society. We are advancing bold changes within Maple Leaf and more broadly within society to pursue our vision. We deeply believe this is the sustainable path to growth.
Our job is to make great food
Maple Leaf Foods embraces a strong values-based culture, where our people are deeply engaged in work that is purposeful, fast-paced and challenging.We cultivate an open, non-bureaucratic and inclusive workplace that fosters safety and transparency, along with individual leadership and accountability. Each Maple Leaf team member has a voice and plays an active role in helping all of us achieve our goals with passion and discipline. We support one another to grow professionally, to learn new skills and to take on challenging experiences in the spirit of continuous improvement
Raise the Good in Food
We have united behind a shared purpose – to Raise the Good in Food. This spans a dramatic transformation of our flagship Maple Leaf brand, replacing anything artificial with simple, natural ingredients; investments and process changes to reduce our environmental footprint by 50% by 2025; building a diverse and inclusive culture where all talent thrives; becoming a leader in animal care; and advancing food security through our charitable foundation, the Maple Leaf Centre for Action on Food Security.
Our Leadership Values
Eight core values guide us in everything that we do.
- Do What’s Right
- Shared Value
- High Performance
- Diverse and Inclusive Teams
- Disciplined Decision Making
- Our Accountability
- Intense Curiosity
- Transparency and Humility
The Stationary Engineer works in the Engineering department and is responsible for the operation and maintenance of the ammonia refrigeration system, steam boiler system, compressed air system and other mechanical systems within the powerhouse. This person has direct impact on the efficiency of our operation and contributes daily to quality of our products.
A snapshot of some of the exciting things you will lead and do:
- Contributes to a healthy work environment, while maintaining high food safety standards
- Maintain/ Monitor/Test/ log all steam generating requirements by operation code
- Maintain/Monitor/Check all refrigeration equipment requirements to TSSA Standards
- Participate in plant equipment repairs/installations
- Interface with necessary Contractual and Inspection Departments for corrective and or legal requirements
- Carry out oral/ printed work requests and apply corrective measures in a timely fashion utilizing computerized maintenance system
- Other responsibilities as required
What we have to offer you:
- Be part of a company with an inspiring and unique vision, with a deep commitment to sustainability, expanding its leadership in sustainable protein across North America?
- A unified team, with a culture based in cross-functional collaboration.
- Competitive Health and Wellness benefits.?
- Defined contribution pension plan?
- Commitment to Learning. Courses, resources, and tools provided to all employees?
- Employee Assistance Program?
What you will bring:
- Must hold a minimum of a 4th Class Stationary Engineer certificate and a Refrigeration Operator Class B License or certification as a 3rd Class Stationary Engineer and 2 years working experience
- Must have experience working with ammonia cooling and compressed air systems
- Must have experience working with boilers and steam
- Able to work shifts on 24 hours/ 7-day week
- Self-directed / motivated team player open to new technology with a sense of urgency and attention to detail
- Must have a full complement of personal/professional hand tools ID’d for Food Safety program
- Able to communicate with co-workers, Supervisors and lead hands
- Able to read and write English
- Able to do heavy lifting regularly (up to 50 lbs)
- Must be cooperative, reliable, responsible and punctual
- Must have knowledge of Technical Standards and Safety Authority (TSSA) standards
Maple Leaf Foods is committed to ensuring the health and safety of all our employees. As part of this commitment, we have adopted a number of COVID-19 safety measures, including a requirement for all employees to be fully vaccinated by March 31, 2022 and to show proof of vaccination. In keeping with this policy, successful candidates will need to provide proof of vaccination by March 31, 2022 (or prior to their first day of work if the start date is after March 31, 2022). We will of course consider accommodations for anyone unable to be vaccinated following human rights and other applicable laws
We thank all applicants for their interest in exploring employment opportunities with Maple Leaf Foods; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicants may be subject to a background check and must meet the security criteria designated for the position.
Championing diversity and inclusion is a critical component to advancing our collective purpose and vision, living the Maple Leaf Leadership Values, and delivering winning results. Accommodation is available upon request for applicants with disabilities in the recruitment and assessment process and when hired; please contact our Talent Attraction Team at email@example.com.