Permanent, full-time position – London, ON
Would you take pride in being on the front line of monitoring the distribution of electricity to residents and businesses within the City of London? Would you welcome the challenge and importance of assisting with resolving power outages arising from extreme weather, equipment failure or system disturbances that range in magnitude from a neighborhood or single business to a major City-wide event? Are you looking for an exciting career in a technologically-advanced Power Distribution System Control Room? Would you embrace working a variety of shifts in a 24/7/365 environment as a creative way to carve out meaningful time for personal pursuits outside of conventional working hours? If so, consider joining London Hydro as a Systems Operator.
There has never been a more interesting and rewarding time to consider working for an electricity distributor. Sectors and systems that traditionally used fossil fuels are actively considering the switch to electricity – to power vehicles, buildings and business processes. London Hydro is ready to support the community we serve in the pursuit of sustainability, environmental stewardship, electrification (including EV Adoption), decarbonization of the grid, and resiliency and reliability in the face of climate change, through a range of innovative programs and technologies.
As a Systems Operator, you will receive comprehensive, on-the-job training throughout a four-year, 8,000-hour apprenticeship, with all costs paid by London Hydro. Apprentices learn in the real-time Control Room environment, and receive mentorship, coaching and support from certified Systems Operators.
Base Salary: $34.41/hour ($71,573/year) to start, progressing to $49.15/hour ($102,232/year) when fully certified. In addition to base salary, attractive shift premiums are added to base pay levels when working evenings and weekends. Paid overtime is also offered when needed.
Along with a competitive salary, this permanent, full-time position offers an attractive benefits package (including health and dental benefits, pension plan (OMERS), 16 days vacation per year to start, 12 paid statutory holidays per year) all in a positive, team-based working environment conducive to individual and team success.
If we’ve captured your attention and you have the qualifications listed below - we encourage you to apply today!
As a Systems Operator, working under the direction of the System Operating Centre Supervisor or designate, you will operate the distribution system to ensure the safe, reliable and cost-effective delivery of electricity to London homes and businesses that count on us to meet their power needs.
As part of your responsibilities as a Systems Operator, you will:
- Apply the Utility Work Protection (UWPC) code according to SOC procedures.
- Coordinate the interruption and restoration of service.
- Operate and monitor the distribution system, using SCADA, OMS and other tools such as Distribution Management Systems (DMS), and effectively leveraging these systems to optimize the state of the distribution network.
- Assist with the arrangement and coordination of switching and Supporting Guarantees for Hydro One and customer outages.
- Answer customer calls.
- Maintain accurate operating maps, GIS/OMS records, event logs, job files and UWPC records.
- Check completed work packages for adherence to corporate practices.
- Perform the necessary tasks to ensure accuracy of information pertaining to outage and trouble events in the OMS system.
- Contribute to daily, weekly and monthly reporting to monitor key performance indicators.
- Analyze loss-of-supply contingencies, review historical event records, and review planned and current system configurations to optimize or improve system availability, and prepare summary reports.
- Audit Utility Work Protection forms.
- Provide nomenclature for new equipment.
- Research and complete SOC Reports for customer claims.
- Provide SOC services for external utilities (Electricity, etc.).
- Coordinate the response to requests for assistance from emergency services.
- Complete administrative tasks using SAP, Microsoft Office, Google Docs, etc.
- Mentor and train apprentices.
- Work various shifts to provide 24/7/365 service, completing all duties as assigned on all shifts.
- Adhere to all Occupational Health and Safety Act rules and regulations, the IHSA's Electrical Utility Safety Rules, London Hydro safe work practices and procedures, and all components of London Hydro's health and safety program.
A graduate from an Electrical Engineering Technician program, you also bring the following credentials and skills to the position of Systems Operator:
- Class G Driver’s Licence.
- Ability to multi-task and demonstrate analytical thinking, problem-solving and organizational skills.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills.
** You will be required to obtain MEA Journeyperson Municipal Electrical Operator Certificate during the apprenticeship period.
NOTE: Please note that applicants who receive any conditional offer of employment from London Hydro will be required to provide proof that they are fully vaccinated with a COVID-19 vaccine approved by Health Canada as a condition of employment and to maintain their status as fully vaccinated as a condition of continued employment. London Hydro will consider individual requests for accommodation by applicants who cannot be fully vaccinated due to grounds protected under the Human Rights Code.
About London Hydro
For over a century, London Hydro has been providing safe, affordable and reliable electricity to a diverse customer base. We are one of the area’s larger employers, with a highly skilled and motivated team of people across many different occupations. Through this dedicated team and an extensive network of overhead and underground power lines, we power over 166,000 homes and businesses, and continue to improve the way people live and work.
Living in London offers many lifestyle benefits. Develop your career at London Hydro.
Watch the short video below for more details!