Automation Controls Technician
Provide technical service and support to existing industrial automation programs of our customers. Respond remotely or in-person on short notice. Be familiar with a wide variety of PLC, HMI and robot programming languages. Ability to troubleshoot Mechanical, Electrical, Pneumatic and Hydraulic systems. Assist in establishing and growing the Service and Support Department capabilities at BOS
- Assist in creating a fully functional service and support group at BOS based on past experience in field service and support
- Work with manufacturing team onsite at BOS to familiarize with new equipment projects during the commissioning phase
- Interfacing with the customer to provide courteous feedback and programmatic solutions or improvements
- Online and offline troubleshooting, following electrical schematics, electrical trouble shooting and repair
- Be creative with resources, software and information available at BOS and the internet
- Ability to work on-line with PLC’s and interpret ladder logic, make changes to HMI’s and PLC programs to solve issues and make improvements
- Address robotic issues with application quality, collision avoidance, logic and IO issues
- Troubleshoot hardware issues with robot controllers
- Identify inefficiencies within the process and modify programming to address
- Work with customers, project managers, designers, millwrights and electricians to solve problems in order to provide customers with a complete functional system
- Prepare detailed documentation capturing before and after changes
- Continual training on new technologies with respect to PLC/HMI and robotics
- Knowledge & troubleshooting of controls & devices for automated motion systems
- Support onsite manufacturing during periods of reduced service and support requirements
- A Degree or Diploma in Electrical Engineering and/or sufficient industry experience and training
- Robot and PLC experience in automation/custom machine build field
- Robot: Fanuc and ABB robot
- PLC: Rockwell, Siemens, Omron, Toyopuc PLC experience desired
- Holding an Electrical License would be an asset
- Computer Expertise: Windows10 Microsoft Office, PLC Programming software, HMI Programming software, Roboguide, Robot Studio, SolidWorks, SolidWorks Electrical
- Knowledge of custom machine building and processes including machine vision, laser, assembly, welding, etc.
- Ability to travel on short notice mostly in Ontario, but also USA and Mexico
- Ability to touch-up and trouble shoot robotic applications and programs
- Fluent understanding of how PLCs and robots communicate with handshakes
- Familiarity with CSA Z434, safety circuit design, Fanuc DCS, ABB Safe-Move
- Strong ability to work with Allen Bradley Studio 5000 software and Factory Talk View HMI development. (Additional controller platforms will be considered an advantage)
- Understanding of Ontario Electrical Code and Electrical Circuits
- Knowledge of pneumatics and pneumatic circuit function
- Familiarity with how the different systems interface to the PLC
- Familiarity with common industrial networking protocols.
Soft Skills & Abilities
- Excellent verbal communication skills and able to participate machine operation discussions
- Sound analytical thinking, planning, prioritization, and execution skills.
- Effective attention to detail and a high degree of accuracy.
- Effective research and Information gathering
- Skilled trouble shooter, able to use electrical tools and meters
- Experience with continuous improvements with respect to quality and cycle time
- Creativity and decision making
- Ability to meet deadlines and execute multiple project tasks.
This description reflects management’s assignment of essential functions, it does not prescribe or restrict the tasks that may be assigned. BOS welcomes applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Flexible work hours
Multiple extended health care plans to choose from
Subsidized Lunch Program
Training development program
Staff appreciation lunches & Socials
Bi-annual company events
Career planning & goal setting
Employee recognition program
Performance appraisal program
BOS Promotional Clothing
Employee Assistance Program
Employer Supported Volunteer Program
Your interest in this opportunity is appreciated. Applicants must be eligible to work in Canada. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.