Department Manager Continuous Improvement
McCormick Canada continues its long track record of growth and is a respected leader in the spice, seasoning, flavouring and specialty food industry. Our consumer products division serves retail grocery customers and emerging channels with Club House, Billy Bee and McCormick products, while our Custom Flavour Solutions division serves food service distributors and other respected food manufacturers across Canada. McCormick Canada is part of the world leader in spice and seasonings, McCormick & Company Inc.
The Power of People is one of our five pillars. It has been the foundation for McCormick's success for decades. There is something inspiring about working at McCormick. We have created an unusually dedicated workforce by fostering a culture of respect, recognition, inclusion and collaboration based on the highest ethical values. Without our employees, our success is not possible. Our commitment to our customers, our consumers and our employees is unsurpassed.
McCormick Canada is currently looking to hire a Continuous Improvement Manager to join our Operations team. This position is located at our Clarke Road location in London.
The CI Manager will provide strategic leadership and coaching for the CI/TPM function within the London facilities. The role has overall accountability for the performance of the function. The successful candidate will coach and lead managers and employees to achieve exceptional business results through the development of people and continuous improvement of manufacturing and supply chain processes. He/She will also coach members of facility leadership team and ensure that CI/TPM strategies across functions are aligned to create common objectives for all departments and achieve plant/facility goals.
The successful candidate will manage Total Productive Maintenance (TPM) and the comprehensive continuous improvement function to deliver savings and improve business results via a formal Loss Analysis program. He/She will also manage cost optimization process and productivity improvement initiatives and serve as the general spokesperson for overall program results. The successful candidate will manage teams, committees, equipment, resources, and any other necessary tools to deploy appropriate improvement activities.
The successful candidate will coach and/or lead Total Productive Maintenance (TPM) pillar work at the London plant and Distribution Centre to build loss elimination capability, such as a reduction in minor stops and changeover time via Focused Improvement pillar tools like 5-Why, 7-Step FI, and SMED. He/She will coach and/or lead Autonomous Maintenance (AM) pillar activities to improve Process Reliability and improve productivity, Planned Maintenance (PM) pillar activities to reduce equipment breakdowns and maintenance cost, Training & Development (T&D) pillar activities to eliminate skill losses, and other TPM pillars.
Description of Position:
- Lead a team of 5 direct reports including a training and development manager, process engineers, and manufacturing improvement leaders
- Apply TPM tools to build capability and eliminate losses, including but not limited to FI, AM, PM, Training & Development, Administrative & Support, and Early Equipment Management pillar tools; lead or serve as key member of site TPM pillar teams
- Lead and administer a cross-functional team tasked with identifying projects necessary to meet/exceed identified goals for cost reduction, cost avoidance, productivity improvement, and process improvement; manage project teams to ensure delivery of planned results
- Lead Journey to Excellence (JTE) Steering Committee and activities
- Drive integration of cost improvement activities into the way all functional employees conduct their activities in order to obtain cost avoidance, cost savings and productivity improvements
- Manage cross-functional OGSM/metric alignment to assure organization-wide coordination and participation
- Share and reapply best practices in the areas of resources, tools and expertise relating to process improvement/cost avoidance/cost reduction initiatives
- Create and deliver a comprehensive continuous improvement scorecard
- Full management responsibility for the CI team, including management of people, defining roles and responsibilities, planning for the department’s future needs and operations, counselling employees on performance and contributing to employee pay decisions/changes
- Post-Secondary Education – Bachelor Degree in Engineering or a related discipline is required
- 5-10 years functional/leadership experience
- Demonstrated significant and relevant skills and results in CI
- Knowledge of and experience using Total Productive Maintenance (TPM) methodologies
- Ability to train entire plant operations teams in standard TPM tools like AM steps, FI 7-Step, and Breakdown Analysis
- Detailed understanding of how all areas of the plant interact to contribute to the business
- General understanding of the manufacturing/ consumer product goods industry
- Strong communication and diplomacy skills are required to guide and influence others
- Strong cross-functional strategic leadership, communication, and teamwork skills
- Ability to translate strategy into actionable information in small or large groups in a clear, concise, and professional manner
- Ability to analyze complex information in order to make judgments and decisions
- Ability to influence upwards
- Ability to lead and coach/develop others in problem-solving and root cause analysis
Throughout the selection process, accommodations for applicants with disabilities are available upon request. Please notify H.R. if required.