Automation Engineering Manager
Automation Engineering Manager, London Ontario
Maple Leaf Foods is embarking on one of the most exciting journeys in its history through the build and startup of a world-class, leading edge manufacturing facility producing premium, value added fresh poultry products. The new 660,000 square foot facility will call London, ON home and will employ over 1,600 employees as we ramp up operations over the next few years.
We are looking for equally enthusiastic people who want to join our team as we start to climb our own version of Everest. As with every great feat, the realities of this opportunity may come with some challenges and we are looking for people who have the commitment to working through these together. We believe that participation in this start-up requires great passion for our objectives, the flexibility to adapt to the needs of the environment, and a resilient spirit rooted in the desire to achieve winning results as a team. Together we believe we will do great things for our people, our consumers, and our communities.
If you think that this opportunity might be for you, we encourage you to read more details about this exciting role below.
The Senior Automation Engineer reports directly to the Engineering and Automation Leader and is responsible for the ongoing development of the Automation Strategy and support of the automation actions for the facility. The Automation Strategy will include manpower resource planning, disaster recovery planning, production support, department training plan and departmental budget planning. The Senior Automation Engineer will play a key role in supporting the plant to improve equipment efficiency and optimize manufacturing effectiveness.
Any MLF team member interested in being considered for this role are encouraged to apply online by September 14, 2023. Applications received beyond that date are not guaranteed consideration.
Snapshot of a Day-in-the-Life:
- Consistent with our leadership values, act as a champion for our culture by leading the Automation team in the development and execution of a positive and productive environment that permeates through all levels and is focused on the needs of our people.
- Provide direct support for all automation deliverable actions to align with Automation Strategy Plan & Operational Shift Support requirements
- Develop and support a backup and disaster recovery plan for all plant Control and Automation systems. Control and Automation systems including PLC, PC, HMI, SCADA, Robotics and Building Automation.
- Develop and maintain a “Management of Change” process for PLC/HMI code to ensure only authorized changes are made and that drawings / documentation accuracy is upheld
- Manage the Instrumentation program to meet all facility FSQA, regulatory and operational requirements.
- Develop and manage Predictive, Preventative and Proactive maintenance requirements for Controls related systems. Procedures and Practices to be implemented in Reliability Maintenance Program and SAP.
- Manage Vendors and Suppliers to establish strong collaborative relationships to ensure required service and support contracts are current.
- Develop and manage a Facility Controls and Electrical build standard in alignment with the Corporate Engineering standards.
- Work with Maintenance Area Leaders to establish programs to mentor and develop Maintenance support team to enhance knowledge and skills of Automated equipment.
- Competent to troubleshoot equipment in the plant locally or through VPN access when required. Mentor team members when required to work through and solve equipment controls related issues.
- Be comfortable with the Escalation procedure and understand the requirement of receiving after hours calls from time to time.
- Develop contingency support plan for all Automation Team members. Adequate knowledge transfer between all team members on plant equipment.
- Maintain equipment level network systems to align with Corporate IS protocols and requirements.
- Manage and support facility Building Automation System
- Manage and support facility HVAC and Air Handling systems.
- Manage and support facility Servers and Networks.
- Maintain OEM support contact list and VPN connectivity
- Demonstrate full commitment to the implementation of the requirements of the Global Standard for Food Safety and to processes which facilitate continual improvement of food safety and quality management.
What You’ll Bring:
- Bachelor of Science or Bachelor of Engineering degree or a combination of 15 years of progressive manufacturing operations, equipment/system commissioning/verification knowledge and project execution.
- Experience in Engineering Change Control Process, and Design Reviews
- Experience in Level 2 Control Systems such as Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA) and Manufacturing Execution System (MES).
- Experience in the implementation and integration of Robotics.
- Experience in the implementation, integration and calibration of instrumentation.
- Ability to solve complex problems within a dynamic working environment, providing training/project coaching, build excellence in teams, and motivate others to achieve results.
- Must be a data driven decision-maker who builds effective teams utilizing exceptional communication and interpersonal skills. A proven track record as an influential leader within an organization who can motivate others; demonstrates sound judgment, be adaptable and flexible.
- Strong analytical skills with a proven history in solving complex problems, business, analytical, information system, and computer skills.
- Knowledge of current safety standards and regulations.
- Knowledge of SAP & CMMS would be an asset
What We Offer at Maple Leaf Foods:
- Being part of a high-performance, people-focused company that has an inspiring and unique vision to become the most sustainable protein company on earth, and a deep commitment to sustainable protein across North America.
- An inclusive company culture and a work environment that keeps our people safe, rewards excellence, and empowers everyone to learn and contribute their best.
- Competitive Health and Wellness benefits that offer flexibility to meet your individual or family needs, including programs focused on improving mental health and wellbeing. These benefits start on your first day of employment.
- Defined Contribution Pension Plan with company matching that starts on your first day of employment.
- Learning and development opportunities, including workshops, ‘speaker series’ events, and resources that allow you to develop your skills and progress your career.
- Comprehensive tuition reimbursement program that supports continuous learning and development of our team members through investment in eligible degrees, diplomas, professional certification, or trades programs.
- Supporting our deep commitment to community impact, we offer up to two paid days annually to volunteer at a cause of your choice.
We’re a carbon neutral food company on a purposeful journey to Raise the Good in Food through better nutrition, safer food and workplaces, more humane animal care, and environmental sustainability efforts that protect our planet. We care about our communities and commit to reducing food insecurity in Canada. Join us on the journey. Let’s build a better future, together.
We’re passionate about food. For more than 100 years, we’ve made delicious, healthy protein that Canadians love under iconic national and regional brands, like Maple Leaf®, Schneiders®, and Greenfield Natural Meat Co.® We’re on a journey to become the most sustainable protein company – not just in Canada – but on earth.
We’re a global food company with more than 13,500 team members. We operate sites in 20+ locations across Canada. We also have locations in the U.S. and Mexico, and do business in Asia.
- We are carbon neutral.
- We are one of the only food companies in Canada to set science-based targets.
- We aim to reduce our environmental footprint by 50% by 2025.
A diverse and inclusive work environment
Championing diversity and inclusion is a critical component to advancing our collective purpose and vision and living the Maple Leaf Leadership Values. We believe in building, investing in, recognizing, and rewarding remarkable people who value an inclusive workplace, embrace all forms of diversity, and commit to including every voice in our collaborative environment. We’re so much stronger when we know we’re accepted and valued for who we are and what we each bring to the workplace.
We embrace a strong, values-based culture
Our eight Leadership Values are our north star. They guide the decisions we make for all our stakeholders: our consumers, our customers, our people, our communities, our shareholders, and the environment.
- Doing What’s Right
- Shared Value
- High Performance
- Diverse and Inclusive Teams
- Disciplined Decision Making
- Our Accountability
- Intense Curiosity
- Transparency and Humility
We thank all applicants for their interest in exploring employment opportunities with Maple Leaf Foods; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicants may be subject to a background check and must meet the security criteria designated for the position.
Championing diversity and inclusion is a critical component to advancing our collective purpose and vision, living the Maple Leaf Leadership Values, and delivering winning results. Accommodation is available upon request for applicants with disabilities in the recruitment and assessment process and when hired; please contact our Talent Attraction Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Disclaimer: Please note that salaries posted on sites other than the MLF Careers Page are not a reflection of Maple Leaf Foods and are an estimated salary range provided by that particular job board. Maple Leaf Foods offers competitive wages and an attractive total rewards package, which will be discussed during an interview with our Talent Team.