Health and Safety Area Leader
Job Number: 39265
Group: Cosma International
Division: Formet Industries
Job Type: Permanent/Regular
Location: St. Thomas
Cosma provides a comprehensive range of body, chassis and engineering solutions to global customers. Through our robust product engineering, outstanding tooling capabilities and diverse process expertise, we continue to bring lightweight and innovative products to market.
The Health and Safety Area Leader oversees Formet’s Occupational Health, Safety, Environmental and Training programs, and leads those team members that coordinate the specific programs. This position makes recommendations and ensures compliance with the company’s policies, procedures and legislative requirements.
- Responsible to deliver all aspects of the Health and Safety Program required by the Occupational Health and Safety Act of Ontario, the company’s Health and Safety policies and the Magna Employee Charter.
- Follow and abide by all government, Legal, Magna and Formet rules and regulations
- Provide instruction, guidance and leadership to the safety team by assisting in solving day to day problems and providing formal and informal performance feedback to Team Members
- Responsible for ensuring successful planning, implementation and effective project management for the safety team in order to assist them with meeting performance goals, and personal development needs
- Monitor progress of assigned tasks and ensure they are completed within assigned timelines and provide support and resources when necessary
- Aid in monitoring/planning departmental budget
- Monitor new and revised legislation and remain current with the latest requirements
- Develop written safety standards and annually update and review these policies and procedures to ensure they are current with legislative requirements
- Establish and promote the maintenance of safe and healthful working conditions, and recommend ways to reduce or eliminate industrial accidents and health hazards and improve environmental conditions
- Support in reviewing all accident/incident investigation reports and provide leadership support and recommendations in developing corrective action
- Participates in the Magna Health and Safety Audits and responsible to develop actions plans to address gaps and ensure all corrective actions from audits and inspections are complete
- Lead the ISO 45001 program
- Lead the Health and Safety Excellence Program
- Analysis of accident statistics regarding type, frequency and severity and make recommendations as required to continuously improve workplace health, safety and loss control
- Assist in the development of Continuous Improvement initiative and manage resulting projects to completion and implementation as assigned
- Maintain a presence on the shop floor by establishing and maintaining relationships with Team Members
- Listen, respond to or direct for response and follow up on Team Member queries and concern
- Support the delivery for all required Safety training
- Support ergonomic, environmental and WSIB projects and initiatives
- Enforce safety rules and correct unsafe acts or conditions
- Perform other duties as designated.
- Completion of Post- Secondary education in Occupational Health and Safety or an equivalent program
- Minimum 5 years related Health and Safety experience (manufacturing environment is preferred) including Environmental, Ergonomics and WSIB
- Working knowledge of Occupational Health and safety Act
- Strong leadership and interpersonal skills
- Proficient computer skills
- Strong communication, organization and interpersonal skills
- Ability to uphold confidentiality
- Ability to work overtime and all shifts to meet customer needs
Accommodations for disabilities in relation to the job selection process are available upon request.
- Office and Manufacturing Environments
- Able to work shift work.
- Able to be flexible in hours of work in order to meet internal/external customer requirements (scheduled and non-scheduled overtime shifts, etc.)
Safety and Housekeeping
- Responsible to adhere to all Health and Safety programs in accordance with the O.H.S.A.
- Follow and ensure the company’s procedures regarding safety rules and regulations are followed throughout the plant.
- Ensure that you work and operate equipment according to Formet’s safety rules and regulations.
- Active role in maintaining excellent housekeeping through leading by example.
- Ensure that your department is clean, tidy, organized and a safe workplace at all times.
- As with Safety, Security is everyone’s responsibility and Formet requires its employees to contribute to this activity by immediately notifying your supervisor when you identify security issues that affect the integrity of our supply chain, in accordance with PIP (Partners in Protection) and C-TPAT (Customs – Trade Partnership Against Terrorism) requirements.