Welding Engineering Coordinator
Job Number: 43843
Group: Cosma International
Division: FORMET INDUSTRIES - WAREHOUSE 2
Job Type: Permanent/Regular
ST. THOMAS, ONTARIO, CA, N5P 1G8
Cosma provides a comprehensive range of body, chassis and engineering solutions to global customers. Through our robust product engineering, outstanding tooling capabilities and diverse process expertise, we continue to bring lightweight and innovative products to market.
This position is responsible for ensuring Formet and Customer quality requirements are met by providing input in the development of weld processes and resolving welding concerns. Ensures that welding standards are followed; includes leading the launch of new projects; is responsible for compliance with COSMA standards and lessons learned. Seeks constant improvement of new technologies that allow better control of the process and ensures that each project meets customer requirements and timing.
• Perform all duties and promote themselves in a manner that reflects Formet Expectations and Formet’s Visions/Values through Magna’s Employee Charter.
• Follow and abide by all government, Legal, Magna and Formet rules and regulations. Creation and control of weld drawings by customer, project and process
• Weld PFMEA creation and control
• Participate in Tooling Design reviews and validate
• Welding Check list buy offs – Launch and Pre-Launch
• Capability / Repeatability studies
• Tooling design updates – process changes
• New technologies - studies, validation and implementation
• Implementation and conformance to COSMA standards
• Standardization of the acquisition, installation and validation of welding equipment in new projects
• Rework procedure validation & Customer Approvals
• Training - Develops and instructs internal training courses that involve the understanding and application of weld technologies
• Weld monitoring Systems – prevention control implementation and tracking
• Contribute to continuous improvement and cost reduction activities.
• Troubleshoot Weld Systems and Robotic Equipment to resolve welding related issues.
• Generating and upkeep of welding-related documentation, and audit as required.
• Maintain a sound understanding of customers’ product and engineering specifications.
• Use technical understanding of the welding processes and weld quality standards to ensure that weld quality is being upheld to customer requirements.
• Complete shift report for Team regarding issues encountered on shift for communication and direction for following shifts.
• Provide technical support to Manufacturing Services to help problem solve weld process issues.
• Support program launches in-house and off-site to ensure Formet’s Quality Standards are being met and in order to achieve optimal weld quality.
• Initiate and coordinate problem reports and containments.
• Establish, maintain and implement welding parameters to support production and Quality Assurance.
• Conducts weld inspection and analyze weld data, generate reports.
• Be an additional resource for Robotic weld touchups.
• Archiving and supporting Paxit system set up and training.
• Generate Weld PPAP packages
• Participate as a Team Member with effective communication and interpersonal skills
• Lead / Assist in problem investigation and root cause determination.
• Participate in Product, System and Process Audits, including CSRs, as required.
• Audit and approve Special Material Requests and reworked material when required.
• Attend and / or Champion customer and internal meetings as required.
• Take initiative to follow through on completion of tasks / projects, PCR’s and weld-related GROW ideas.
• Cover for the other Weld Technicians if he/she is absent.
• Demonstrate a sense of urgency to achieve results.Perform all duties and promote themselves in a manner that reflects Formet Expectations and Formet’s Visions/Values through Magna’s Employee Charter.
• Follow and abide by all government, Legal, Magna and Formet rules and regulations.
• Perform other duties as designated
- Completion of Welding Technologist/Technician Course from a Community or recognized college consisting of two years or more OR an equivalent combination of relevant education and experience.
- Must have minimum of two years in the Automotive Field as a Welding Engineering Coordinator or equivalent.
- Experience with Gas Metal Arc, Spot, Nut and Laser Welding.
- Practical experience with industrial robots.
• Understanding of PPAP requirements.
• General understanding of process capability and analysis.
- Weekly pay via direct deposit
- Overtime (1.5x) after 44 hours worked
- Vacation entitlement
- 2 weeks of paid vacation (3 weeks after 3 years) + 3 company paid holidays + 2x ½ days = 14 days annually
- Medical and Dental Benefits
- Magna will contribute an amount equal to 3% of regular earnings every week to your retirement savings (MBC program)
- Profit sharing paid in the second quarter of every year (EEPPP Program)
- Matched GRRSP
- Company Paid Life Insurance and Accidental Death and Dismemberment (AD&D)
- Safety Shoe annual allowance, prescription Safety Glasses annual allowance, Custom Molded Earplug allowance
- Company paid uniforms (if you choose to use).
- Company BBQ, Holiday Parties and Company Events
- Corporate Social Responsibility Initiatives
- Annual Employee Opinion Survey
- Magna Service Award Program
- Magna Scholarship Program
- Roger’s and Bell cellphone data plan available – as low as $40/month!
- Subsidized cafeteria
- Educational Assistance Program
- Jump Start Program for personal training - $300 benefit
- Employee Discounts: new vehicles, amusement parks, etc.
- Plant-Wide Continuous Improvement Program: 2021 bonus = $1860
- You get to work with a FANTASTIC Team!
Safety and Housekeeping
- Responsible to adhere to all Health and Safety programs in accordance with the O.H.S.A. Follow and ensure the company’s procedures regarding safety rules and regulations are followed throughout the plant.
- Ensure that you work and operate equipment according to Formet’s safety rules and regulations.
- Active role in maintaining excellent housekeeping through leading by example.
- Ensure that your department is clean, tidy, organized and a safe workplace at all times.
- As with Safety, Security is everyone’s responsibility and Formet requires its employees to contribute to this activity by immediately notifying your supervisor when you identify security issues that affect the integrity of our supply chain, in accordance with PIP (Partners in Protection) and C-TPAT (Customs – Trade Partnership Against Terrorism) requirements
Accommodations for disabilities in relation to the job selection process are available upon request.
Thank you to all who apply. Only those who are selected to move forward will be contacted.
Awareness. Unity. Empowerment.
At Magna, we believe that a diverse workforce is critical to our success. That’s why we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We hire on the basis of experience and qualifications, and in consideration of job requirements, regardless of, in particular, color, ancestry, religion, gender, origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability or gender identity. Magna takes the privacy of your personal information seriously. We discourage you from sending applications via email to comply with GDPR requirements and your local Data Privacy Law.